This crisp is both gluten-free and vegan! It is a lightly sweetened dessert that features fresh berries and a crisp topping.
This is a delicious, easy summer classic! You can use this Very Berry Crisp recipe with many different types of of fruit! I have made it will black raspberries (our absolute favorite, highly recommend) and a mix of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. The pictured crisp was black raspberries. This recipe is also delicious with peaches! Any way you make it, it will be delicious! This recipe is super simple and will be sure to impress!
You can top this with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. We like Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss which is a coconut based ice cream. Another great topping is coconut whipped cream. Grocery stores with a natural section generally carry it (you will find it in the frozen aisle).
This recipe is gluten-free (if you use gluten-free oats) and is naturally sweetened with fruit, maple syrup and coconut sugar. The almond meal gives the crust a nice nutty flavor without being overbearing. We make this crisp all summer long. It has become a staple and is so easy to make.
If you don’t have almond meal and have almonds on hand, you can make almond meal by pulsing almonds in a high speed blender. I’ve only tried it in a Vitamix, so can only speak to my experience with a Vitamix. You can also use almond flour to make this. The consistency will be a little different but it will still be delicious.
I use arrowroot starch to thicken this up but you could also use corn starch. If you like your fruit filling very juicy, you may want to reduce the arrowroot starch.
Brown sugar can be substituted for the coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is less sweet, so consider using slightly less coconut sugar.
I don’t recommend using quick oats in this as the texture of the topping will be less hearty (and I did not test it with quick oats, so I can’t guarantee good results).
More Healthier Dessert Ideas
- Easy Healthier Apple Crisp
- Vegan Chocolate Chunk and Tahini Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Chip and Oat Cookie Bars
Very Berry Crisp
- 5 cups berries (black raspberries recommended but other berries such as blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries work well)
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 cup almond meal (see notes for options)
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut (sufite-free)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set out a 9" x 9" baking dish or a round pie dish (a deep pie dish).
- Add rinsed berries to baking/pie dish. Add water, coconut sugar, and arrowroot starch. Stir thoroughly. Set dish aside.
- In a medium bowl, add almond meal, finely shredded coconut, oats, cinnamon, sea salt and stir thoroughly. Add maple syrup to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Drop the mixture by tablespoons on top of the berries and spread evenly. It doesn't have to be perfect! Some berries peeping through here and there make it prettier.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Let cool on counter some before serving. It is best served medium warm to slightly warm versus piping hot. Serve with your favorite topping! We like Luna and Larry's Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream! It is a coconut based, non-dairy ice cream and it is delicious! Enjoy.
Leave a Reply