This post has been sponsored by USA Rice and the Feedfeed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
These Wild Rice Mediterranean Bowls pack so much nutrition and lots of yummy flavors and textures into one bowl! The delicious zingy Mediterranean inspired dressing gives them so much flavor! This is great to serve for a super fresh dinner on a hot evening and it is also perfect for meal prep!
How to make Wild Rice
These bowls start with chewy and nutty wild rice. I use and recommend U.S. Grown wild rice. It is so flavorful and packed with nutrition. Wild rice is the seed of a native North American long-grain marsh grass. It’s mainly produced in California and Minnesota. If you would like to learn more about where and how rice is grown in the U.S., visit thinkrice.com.
Start by making the wild rice. The stovetop and Instant Pot methods are included in this recipe. If you want to cook the wild rice in an Instant Pot, add one cup of wild rice and one and a half cups water to the Instant Pot. Next, secure lid and move valve to sealing. Set on manual, high pressure, 25 minutes. Let naturally release for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before using.
If you would like to make the wild rice on the stovetop, make sure you are using a 3 quart or larger saucepan. Add both the rice and water and bring and bring it to a boil. Once at a rolling boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat. I put it on “2.” Let it cook for 55 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Pour off any remaining water and fluff with a fork.
How to massage kale
If you have never massaged kale before, let’s discuss it for a minute! It is very easy. After you remove the stem, you tear the kale leaves in to small pieces and add them to a bowl.
Next, add one teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil on top and massage the kale for one minute. You will see the kale leaves reduce and become softer. Some people massage their kale for 2-3 minutes but I find one minute works well!
Whats left to do is chop/slice veggies and make the dressing! You can do all this while the rice is cooking and the cauliflower is roasting.
I hope you enjoy these Wild Rice Mediterranean Bowls!
More Mediterranean Inspired options
Wild Rice Mediterranean Bowls
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 small cauliflower, florets only
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sumac, or sub paprika
- 4 kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- 12 kalamata olives
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 medjool dates, sliced
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking tray with silicone liner or parchment.
- Combine rice and water in a 3 quart sauce pan. Turn to high heat. Once at a rolling boil turn down to low (I turn to 2) and cover. Cook for 55 minutes with lid on. Once done, remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes. If there is any remaining water, drain.
- In a medium bowl, add two teaspoons avocado oil, sumac (or paprika) and cumin and stir. Add cauliflower florets and massage mixture in with your hands. Spread on prepared baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While rice is cooking and cauliflower is roasting, make dressing. Combine dressing ingredients in a 16 oz jar and shake vigorously.
- To massage kale, remove stem from kale leaves. Tear kale leaves into small pieces and add to same bowl the cauliflower was in. Add one teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and massage for one minute.
- Prepare all other veggies.
- When rice and cauliflower are done, assemble bowls. Divide ingredients into four large bowls. Top with dressing and enjoy.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge up to five days. Store dressing separately and add just before eating.