You will love this easy weeknight meal done in 30 minutes!
In our house we call this meal homemade Chipotle. Chipotle is one of our favorite places to eat for a quick and healthy meal. This easy recipe for vegetarian burrito bowls reminds me of Chipotle’s burrito bowls. The nice thing about a meal like this is it is so easily customizable. As many of you know, my husband eats meat, so I make some ground turkey on the side for him to add to his. I use many of the same spices that I use on the beans.
Burrito Bowl Recipe Ingredients
I use jasmine rice to make my cilantro lime rice. You are welcome to use any type of rice you prefer, and if you want to use brown rice that works too! I use white rice because it cooks up quickly and my family prefers it.
For beans I usually use black beans but pinto beans work well too! Simmering them with the spices and bay leaf is key. You are welcome to add salt but I prefer not too since canned beans are usually cooked with salt.
The fresh produce you will need includes cherry tomatoes, two hearts of romaine (or other lettuce), cilantro and lime.
You can go crazy on the toppings or keep it simple! I always add salsa, guacamole and lots of hot sauce.
The dressing is similar to Chipotle’s salad dressing but it is not as sweet. It’s super simple to prepare, I really hope you try it. To make the dressing you will need extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), sea salt, black pepper, chili powder, dried oregano, and garlic powder
How to make Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
Make the cilantro lime rice
Start off by cooking your rice. I love to use my Instant Pot to cook rice because you just set it and forget it. A rice cooker is always a good option too. If using an Instant Pot you use less water than you would on stove top because it is a closed system. For Instant Pot add 1 1/2 cups rice, 1 1/2 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. Secure the lid and make sure the valve is in the sealing position. Set to high pressure for four minutes. Let the rice naturally release for 10 minutes then carefully move the valve to venting. Fluff rice. Before serving add the minced cilantro and lime juice. I also included stove top directions below.
Make the beans
Drain and rinse the beans. Add them to a medium sauce pan along with all the spices (1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Prepare the fresh ingredients
Chop and rinse two hearts of romaine or other lettuce. Green leaf and red leaf lettuce both work as well. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Gather any toppings that you want to add to your bowls like salsa, guacamole and hot sauce.
Prepare the dressing
Add all dressing ingredients (1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup), 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano) to a jar and shake well.
Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- 3 ¾ cups water, divided
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 hearts of romaine, washed, dried and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup cilantro, minced
- ½ medium lime
Black Bean Seasonings
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garic powder
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Optional, for serving
- salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips
- Make cilantro lime rice. For Instant Pot directions, see recipe notes. To cook on stove top, add rice to a medium sauce pan with 2 ¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then cover and turn down to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from stove and let sit at least 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Just before serving add 1/3 cup minced cilantro and the juice of a small lime or 1/2 of a medium lime.
- Add beans (drain and rinse beans) to a medium pot with 1 1/2 cups of water. Add bay leaf, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder. Stir, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small jar add all dressing ingredients (olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, sea salt, black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, ½dried oregano) . Shake and set aside.
- While everything is cooking, prepare your lettuce and other toppings. When everything is done, you are ready to assemble your bowls.