This delicious meal combines chickpeas and veggies with an orange, maple syrup, Tamari, ginger and garlic sauce for an easy weeknight meal!
Some flavors just go hand and hand like orange, ginger and garlic! This Orange Chickpeas and Vegetables is easy to make! Everything goes into one pot at the same time (except the rice).
I make the rice in an instant pot so I don’t have to babysit it. If you don’t have an instant pot, I would definitely check it out! It makes rice perfectly and there are so many great instant pot recipes! For white rice I set it to manual for four minutes and let it naturally release for at least 10 minutes. For brown rice I set it for 22 minutes and let it release for at least 10 minutes. Don’t forget to fluff it with a fork before serving!
Are you a fly by the set of your pants cook or more of an organized one? For years I was fly by the seat of my pants. I wouldn’t get out recipe ingredients until I needed them. I recently started getting everything organized in advance and am here to tell you, it makes for a lot more relaxed cooking. Instead of frantically looking for the next ingredient I need, while doing 3 other things, its already right there, all prepped and ready to go. Why didn’t I do this sooner?
You will prep all the veggies, drain and rinse two cans of chickpeas and add it all to a large sauté pan along with the sauce. Cook it till the veggies are tender to your liking. I rec al dente.
For more easy weeknight meal inspiration check out this Honey and Ginger Tofu Stir fry and this Peanut Pad Thai.
Orange Chickpeas and Vegetables
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded, cut in one inch pieces
- Prepared rice and/or greens
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- ¼ cup reduced sodium organic Tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- If preparing rice, prepare per package instructions. Cut up vegetables. Make sauce by zesting and juicing one orange and combining remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Add vegetables, sauce and chickpeas to a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Keep it covered or most of the sauce will evaporate. Check vegetables for tenderness and cook to your liking. I recommend al dente.
- Serve with prepared rice and a side of greens. Optional: garnish with sesame seeds and green onions
Leave a Reply