If salads usually leave you wanting more, give this hearty quinoa, arugula and black-eyed peas salad a try! Filled with veggies, hearty protein packed quinoa and black-eyed peas, this salad is sure to please. The dressing features Dijon mustard and fresh lemon juice. It is zingy and really brings the flavors together. It is a great meal prep option because it will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. This recipe is also super versatile! You can easily make substitutions or add other veggies that you enjoy. I have been enjoying this salad for lunches. It is really filling and delicious!
The only thing to cook is the quinoa! You can cook quinoa in an Instant Pot or stovetop. To cook on the stovetop, one of the most important things to to choose a medium sized saucepan versus a smaller one so it doesn’t boil over. Rinse one cup of quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Add rinsed quinoa and 3 cups water to medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boil reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit with the lid on for 5 minutes. Then remove lid and fluff with a fork. Let it cool before adding to salad.
Always select the freshest ingredients at the store. Check the date on the arugula and select the freshest you can find. The baby arugula is extra tender and delicious in this salad.
You can pre-cook your quinoa the day before and add it to the salad the day you make it.
If you are not eating this salad immediately you can store the dressing separately and add it later. If you add the dressing when you make it the arugula and the cucumber will soften but it is still delicious and I really like it this way.
This Quinoa, Arugula, and Black-Eyed Peas Salad is:
protein and veggie packed
easy to prep!
We hope you love it!
If you love salads, here are some more fresh ideas
- Mediterranean Veggies and Brown Rice Salad
- Loaded Plant-based Poke Bowls
- Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Easy Mediterranean Lunch Bowls
- Maple Roasted Brussels sprouts Salad
Quinoa, Arugula, and Black-Eyed Peas Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, prepared (should have 3 cups)
- 2 large handfuls arugula, or 2 cups packed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 medium cucumber, partially peeled and diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly juiced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa per package instructions (or see below). Fluff with a fork and let the quinoa cool. You could even make this the day before.
- Chop all ingredients and add to a large bowl.
- Make your dressing by adding ingredients to a glass jar and shaking vigorously.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the veggies. Pour dressing over the top and stir thoroughly.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days. The cucumbers will get somewhat soft but the salad overall gets even better as it marinates. If you are eating this salad 2 days or more after you prepared it, squeeze some additional lemon juice over it, as the acidity reduces over time. I like to let it sit out for about an hour before I eat it so it is not as cold.